What does it mean?

I'm in Goa. It's hot, I'm bothered and the place has turned into Costa Del India since I was last here 10 years ago. It's fair to say I'm not that impressed. Bugger. Cara and I are going to be here together for the next week chilling out (as if that is possible due to the fact that you are hassled every 5 seconds. Today alone I have had about 10 declarations of undying love, offers to sleep with the locals and enough taxis to keep me from walking anywhere in my life ever again!) ARG. ...and all this before we get ourselves tangled up in ourselves in more ways than one when we go to duh, duh, duuuuuuuuuuh....the ASHRAM.
I am looking forward to going but I'll be honest and admit that I am kind of nervous about it aswell. Since we've arrived in India just under 3 weeks ago (I've been deprived of the blog for so long!) we have been a bit overcome with spirituality. It is everywhere. It also has the potential to be a total cliche. We have seen more krusties and 'devotees' than you can shake your tail feathers at and we've also got sucked in a bit along the way.
I have visited more temples and religious sights in the last 20 days than ever before in my whole life, I'm sure of it. I've been annointed, daubed with yellow (knowledge), red (luck and prosperity) and white (purity), I've learnt about Gods and what it all means....and that's basically what it comes down to - EVERYTHING in India means something. Hand movement = this is my wife, leave her alone; eye movement = I fancy you; necklace = I worship such and such; head bobble = yes, no, maybe, whatever....and so it goes on. It is a country of ultimate meaning (and infuriation!)
There's too much to write, and I'm all a bit shattered by it all. India is NOT, and I repeat NOT, a holiday destination, it is a challenge and a constant battle to keep yourself from shouting profanities, crying, getting angry, leaving and never coming back and enjoying yourself. It can mess with your head. Perhaps an ashram is what I need after all....p.s. The image at the top is called the Nataraja - the lord of the dance - and it symbolises the universe and what it all means. So there.

2 Comments:
I thought Michael Flatley was the lord of the dance!!
Blaze is having a party on 5th April, Dougie's coming over from Dublin. Will you be back? x
Unfortunately she's not back till the 19th and as far as I'm concerned that about a million days too long. Sorry India is such a disappointment. I hope that you don't get sucked into that ashram crap. MAke sure you come home and drag that focusless sis of yours with you. Glad I'm not there as I'd be in jail by now for knocking the shit out of some ball grabbing, undying love spouting wank splat. Zx
Post a Comment
<< Home