Tomb Raider
Just call me Angelina. Today we arrived in Siem Reap which is home of the Angkor (Wat) complex. Enroute from the airport to our hotel we drove past some of the temples and they look like they are going to make some great exploring and photography territory...if you can avoid all the millions of tourists :(This afternoon I am going to explore the town of the Reaper (as the local expats call it). I'm flying solo today as I'm fed up of trying to just fit in with and around the rest of the couples on the trip. Suits me fine. I can wander, I can shop, I can stop and eat, I can do whatever. Peace and quiet is a greatly undervalued commodity. Also the hotel has a lovely pool area, so I think I may make time for some well deserved R+R.
For the last couple of days we have been in Phnom Penh (Hill of Penh who was a person who discovered some hidden Buddhas in a tree). The hotel was interesting if you think that hearing other people next door vomiting all night and keeping the TV on full volume to cover that noise is your kind of thing. Trust me, it wasn't mine and a night without sleep was all I needed before going to the Torture museum and the killing fields. Fun. Yesterday we visited the horrendous Tuol Sleng (S-21) which is located in PP. It used to be a high school but when Pol Pot (political potential) got into power he used it as a prison and torture centre. His army was made up of children aged 12-20 who killed over 1.5 million people in just over a 4 year period. The museum was very confronting and the guide that we had had lost 5 members of his family during those 4 years, which made the whole thing a lot more real. I found the whole thing very emotional and got a bit teary. To top off that visit we headed to (one of the many 200ish) the killing fields which are about 15km out of PP. Over 17,00o corpses were found in this location and still more are to be uncovered. When the rains come and wash away the top layer of soil, more bones and clothing are revealed. It was a tough day.
The Khymer people are still struggling with the legacy of the damage that those 4 years caused. Cambodia is by far the most poverty sticken place of the 4 that I have visited in SEA. There are no formalised roads, the place is rife with corruption, there is no compulsory education, there are child/disabled beggars everywhere; yet the people are capable of smiles and don't hassle you like other places I have been. The country also has shocking age statistics. Of the 14 million people who live here over 60% are under the age of 18 - WOW. In the last 30 years the population has grown from 4million, which it was after the Khymer Rouge, to 14 million - WOW. It is a crazy place and veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery dirty and strewn with rubbish, but most certainly has potential.
Anyway, enough of that...back to sunshine, temples, Angelina and consumerism.

5 Comments:
Don't forget to tie your hair up in a plait, Angelina! LOL! (and get a photo in climbing pose up one of the Wats in Angkok)
Yeah - I want one of those pictures too! If you can get some hot pants and a little pair of hipster shorts that would be most appreciated!!! Zx.
Silly, silly....not allowed to touch the Wats unles yoú're Angelina! Have got good photos though. X
It so nice.I went that place before.Angkor Wat!
Don't forget to save pitures at Combodia.
Post a Comment
<< Home