1 a girl with wanderlust: Bangkok 2

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bangkok 2

Arrived back in Bangkok to stay with Sarah and Amandio in one piece if a little exhausted from a month of non-stop action and adventure. I am so glad that I did the trip. I met wonderful people, I saw great things and I had a really good experience in the area. I thought doing a tour would be a bit cheesy, but the company were great and they really took the stress out of organising quite a complex itinerary. Everyone I spoke to before I went told me that it was unnecessary to think that I had to be part of a group as I could easily do it on my own. Although I believed them, I just wasn't too sure. Now that I have been and done, I see what they mean; it is just like anywhere else and yes, you could do it by yourself...so for next time that's the plan.

I'm enjoying being in BK much more this time round. I think I have got used to the 'Asia' way - I can cope with the smell, the chaos, the traffic, the people, the language, the transport, the food, and all those little things which blow you away the minute you land somewhere. It's also been great to hang out with Sarah who is a local and that always makes a place more fun. We have been very busy little bees making sure we get some (more) retail therapy! Chinatown is absolute heaven for that!!!

This evening I'm taking the overnight sleeper train down to the South of Thailand to get to the island of Ko Lanta. It was always the plan to head to the islands, but I had no idea which one or where to stay, so I very much picked this island at random. It looks like it's going to be a good choice, but I've chosen the worst time to visit! February is the major peak season as it co-insides with Chinese New Year (7th Feb) and with traditional Thai holidays (everyone takes their 2 weeks now, and would you believe, they also like to go to the islands - the outrage!). This of course means that you pay a premium for everything. I am feeling pretty lucky that I managed to get a spot on the train and find any (decent - yet to be discovered) accommodation at all. In fact I am going to be paying a lot (by Thailand backpacker standards) for a place with a cold shower!!! Ha! The experience is what counts, afterall, no? It's all pretty exciting and I am looking forward to swinging in my hammock, lying on my lounger, reading books, walking along the beach and generally just living the good life and relaxing before heading back to Bangkok and then onto India. Such a hard life.

1 Comments:

At 8:23 am, Blogger Zain said...

Rub it in why don't you?

;)

Zx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home