1 a girl with wanderlust: Onwards and upwards

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Onwards and upwards

Well, today is the day that I said goodbye to Zain at the airport with tears in my eyes as I head off on my travels and Zain heads home to get his head down and study for Doctor exams and interviews. I'm sad and it all seems a bit shit, but at least I have much excitement ahead of me which is good and terrifying at the same time.

Up until now, Zain and I have been staying with a Lisbon-made friend of mine, Sarah, in Bangkok with her and her husband. It's been great to catch up again and we have had awesome hospitality! It' such a shame that Scotland doesn't stack up as the same kind of destination which means we take, but don't often get the chance to pay back. Anyhoo...Bangkok has been an assault on the senses. It's big, it's hurried, it's smoggy, the food is amazing and the temples are divine. So far we have travelled on Thai 'gondola' on the Khlongs and soaked up the atmosphere (mostly engine fumes and petrol), we've been humbled by the number and size of some of the Buddhas (my favourite so far has to be Wat Po which was AWESOME. It is 48 meters long and 15 meters high and really fills the whole temple. It was so beautiful and I really felt a sense of calm when we were standing open-mouthed looking up a the golden beauty.), we've eaten scary but delicious food from the street stalls, we've been ripped off by taxi drivers (infuriating), we've been to Chatuchak market and tried to haggle for bargains but gave up as we are so useless and they know that us Westerners are push overs!, we've bought fisherman's pants (cliche, but had to be done), we've wandered around Chinatown in a mass bedlam of lanes and alleyways and traffic!, I have almost come into contact with my maker on about a dozen occasions (traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and mopeds are not a good combination, no matter which way you look at it), I've breathed in a lifetimes worth of smog in only 4 days and I feel ok, I've watched an old man give his dog a 'lift' on the back of his moped at about 60km an hour as he wove in and out of the traffic, I've seen a lot of Thai brides.

Tonight I am meeting up with my tour group proper now that Zain is away home which is good but mental as well. We are travelling up country tonight via sleeper train and will arrive in Chang Mai at 7am tomorrow morning. There's elephant rides, Thai cooking schools and meeting the local hill tribes on offer...so I am going to go away and think about what to do.
Bye for now. XX

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home