1 a girl with wanderlust: Farewell Straya

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Farewell Straya

Well, that's it. Today is the last full day in Australia (Straya as the Aussies say it) and I can't believe it has all gone by so fast. Zain and I have been frantically packing bags, seeing friends for last minutes meet-ups, organising furniture and goodie collections with Salvos (Sally army) and stressing about excess baggage (there's a lot...worry, worry, worry), plus I am getting all pepped up for my trip round South East Asia and then onto Southern India where I will be meeting my Mum and Sister and hanging with them for 3 weeks. Then it's off to the ashram in Northern India for a month of bending, flexing, silence, meditation and hippie tree-hugging. I promise to come home though - really.

Over the year there have been highs and lows, but the highs have certainly far outweighed the lows.
The best things by far have been:
- Zain
- Meeting great Aussies who will be friends for life
- The wine!
- The food culture of eating out plus the quality of what you eat
- The crazy wildlife (especially the whale watching and seeing a Taipan in the wild - the world's most deadly snake)
- The ability to enjoy an outdoors lifestyle
- New Year. The fireworks were amazing and the whole city was alive in a really friendly and positive way. The sun really makes a difference with this one
- Working in TV
- Doing a sky dive (I must be insane, and I wouldn't do it again....but got to try it once)


The lows
- Christmas. Sunshine is not a happening thing; I don't care what anyone says
- Being away when really exciting things were happening at home. Congratulations on weddings and babies people!
- The news reporting here is dreadful

Therefore, this is the last you may hear from me for a bit. We leave on Wednesday 9th January and I won't be back in the UK until the end of April. I will do my best to keep in touch via the blog and maybe (if you are really lucky) the odd (group) email or two. I'll miss you, I'll miss Zain and I'll miss my MAC!!! I won't know what to do without them all.
Take care, feel free to email me your news all the time as I love to hear it.
Isla x

1 Comments:

At 6:24 am, Blogger sarah said...

Think how good it is that all the things that were good about last year you will carry with you into 2008 to add to them!
See you tomorrow :-) Yipee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home