The Diary of Ma Yan

I saw this book ages ago and had a look at the back and a quick read and a look at the pictures (as you do) but put it down again in favour of not reading it. But the next time I went back it was there waiting for me again, and so this time I decided to read it.
It is utterly fantastic. It is the diary of a young girl, aged 13, who lives in one of the most isolated and rural parts of China. Her diaries focus on the fact that at the age of 13, her parents decided to remove her from school as they couldn't afford it and seeing as she is only a girl, her brothers should really get an education before her, while she helps out at home and follows a traditional way of life. The story behind how this book came to be published is equally amazing. Some French citizens were travelling through that particular area and the mother of Ma Yan thrusts her diaries at the travellers in a moment of sheer desperation. The mother cannot read and doesn't really know what she has done, but knows that something has to be done. Ma Yan is desperate to keep up her education as she knows it is the only way that she can escape the desperate poverty that she and her family are faced with.
It is a revelation to read first hand the kinds of hardships that people live with in this world. The family earns approximately £12 a year and sometimes they have so little money that Ma Yan doesn't eat for a week. Yes, a whole week!!!! And the whole time she studies and works hard and helps her parents and worries about her mothers health. I cried and I smiled and I was amazed at the courage of such a young person to work towards their ambition and their goals. I was also deeply ashamed that I didn't realise quite what poverty for people really means. This is a must read book and one which I think spoilt children the world over should be made to read and hopefully they will realise how lucky we/they are.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home