APEC

APEC - I am sure this doesn't mean much to readers outside of Australia, but APEC (Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation) took place this last week/weekend in Sydney. Now, this doesn't really have much significance for me personally, but it did mean that we got a cheeky wee public holiday on Friday, as there was so much disruption in the city that most people would have been prevented from getting to work, and we wouldn't want that now, would we?
What it did mean was that in time honoured tradition in advance of a Friday off, I organised a night out on Thursday - dinner and some quite drinks (of course). Well dinner was on the cards with 8 people from work and some partners and then the party grew to 15 which was lots and lots of fun. And with having so much fun, it meant lots and lots of red wine drinking. It's Sunday today and I think I am still to recover! Fun, but next time less wine!!!
Saturday (as Friday was a complete right off, uurgh :(, but did manage to hit the cinema with Zain and see the Bourne Ultimatum which was good, but in my humble opinion not as good as the previous two. Still worth a look though)....anyway, back to Saturday. Saturday is running day at the moment and Anna (my new and fabulous running buddy) headed out for our super long run of the week (21kms/13 miles in advance of the 1/2 marathon - only 2 weeks!!) which we decided to do in and around the CBD. One thing that we didn't account for was going to be the madness of the police presence (APEC and all that, dear President Bush), the crazy protesters and the Sydney wall of keeping-outness. After a few false starts and getting turned back and checked out by police at every corner ('it's the joggers, 12 o'clock, shoot to kill') we did managed to get round our course with a few added kilometers just to tire us out good and well.Oh, I also happened across the most amazing bakery ever in the Surrey Hills area of the city. What deeeeeeeeelicous bread and goodies. I bought a sourdough loaf (they love their sourdough here) with figs and other stuff that I can't remember, but it is soooooooooooooo yummy.
After that I wasn't really capable of too much, but Saturday was designated buying and sorting flights day, which I am pleased to say that I have accomplished. Aaaaaaaaaaand relax. So, the plans are that Zain and I fly to Bangkok and stay with some friends there plus do a bit of a tour around the Indochina region, Zain heads home and then I carry on to India for 3 weeks where I will meet my mum for some R+R and plenty of shopping!!! I.Can't.Wait.

Sunday. A good night's sleep and then up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed ready to tackle the mess that is the flat. A couple of albums on the ipod later and all is tidy and well with the world. Then I decided that seeing as a quiet day was ahead I would head up to Chatswood (for the 3rd day running) and hit the cinema and see something that Zain would never watch. This time it was The Home Song Stories which is an Australian movie about a Chinese immigrant family set in the 70's and the various traumas of settling in and dealing with a charasmatic by severely depressed mother. It is based on a true story (written and directed by the son in question) and it is very hard hitting stuff. I cried needless to say. Wow. Not the best movie I have ever seen, but when you think that it is someones real life on the screen, then it all gets a bit intense. Plus the mother is possibly one of the most gorgeous creatures I have ever seen. Worth a look for sure.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home