1 a girl with wanderlust: The catch up...

Sunday, June 24, 2007

The catch up...

Sunday - 24th June
This is going to be a bit of a random post as I haven't blogged for 3 weeks (where did they go?) and I have kind of forgotten what I have done since I last wrote. Bits and pieces have come to me as I have been writing things, so it's all a bit of a jumble, but hey...makes for some crazy reading.

Yesterday I went for a swim in the morning and then had a bit of a sauna which was nice and a chat with my new sauna buddy, Gemma, who I keep meeting whenever I go down for a swim. She is a 50 something Korean lady who has just finished a beauty therapy course and she facinates me! Then I headed into town with the best of intentions of buying some warm clothing as it has become bitterly cold (to us at least, the temps are not that low). But instead I headed out to the areas called Rozelle and Balmain which are basically on an isthmus (I think, it could be termed a spit) which gives you great views of the CBD and also up to north Sydney. They also have markets…The Rozelle market is basically a bit ‘kooky’ if you want to put a bit of positive spin on it, however, to me it seemed like a society sponsored car boot sale. Some of the things on sale were wonderful; gorgeous vintage clothing and bits and pieces (I spotted some vintage 1940's glass buttons which I am seriously covetting, but can seriously not afford at $50 for 6 buttons) mixed with…well rubbish basically! After that, I continued to walk up Darling Road which links Rozelle with Balmain and is the main thoroghfare. It is full of restaurants, cafes, health food shops, clothing and bookshops and any number of students, yummy mummies and gay couples. It is a real mix of an area and clearly demonstrates one of the things that I LOVE about Sydney. Oh, and I didn’t buy warm clothes (hoody and something to actually sleep in so that I get some shut eye instead of being cold all the time!) – I bought a beautiful big cream leather bag that I have been searching for for ages. Naughty, but I did get it at one of the markets, so not as naughty as high street retail!

Further down Darling Road is the area called Balmain, it has a market too. This market was much more crafty and was really a poor relation to the markets at Mosman and Paddington, but fun to see all the same. This area is much more residential and upmarket than Rozelle with absolutely SENSATIONAL views over the Harbour. I love the architecture here (Sydney). I don’t know how to describe it, but it is the nicest I have consistently seen in any city.

At night, Zain and I had a hot dinner and then huddled together to keep warm. Our flat is a disaster in this kind of season/weather. Tiled floors, large single pane windows, gaps all over the place; in fact I am pretty sure that it is colder inside than out. We have taken to using a fan heater to heat up the bedroom before I even dare to take off my clothes and now we have 2 duvets on the bed otherwise we would be freezing – oh the joys!

Today, I am just pottering about wearing a lot of clothes and will go for a run later once I have written up my blog. I might even go to the cinema as a treat as Zain is working this evening. (I didn't go by the way, nothing I fancy is on just now...I think I have overdosed on cinema these last 6 months - near impossible I know, but when it is your only thing to do, it can get pretty boring)

I keep thinking of things to blog when I am not blogging and when I sit down to write these things up, I have no idea what I was planning to say.

Oh yeah, I have completed my ½ marathon distance training. Did 13 miles last Sunday and I’m just in from a 10 mile run which took in the Harbour Bridge, the Opera House and the Botanical Gardens. I wish I could say that I enjoyed it, but it seemed to be a horror of a run and I am glad it is all over.

I’ve also been out a couple of times for drinks in the last few weeks which has been super fun. Went after work on Friday last for a couple which ended up as a bit of a early morning return home – I always love those unexpected nights out. Had a great time and got to meet some good people.

Zain and I have been planning our trip for when we leave here. At the moment the plan is to head to Bangkok and stay with my friend from Lisbon, Sarah, for a couple of weeks as we do some trips from Bangkok to see the River Kwai, go for a ride on an elephant or two, see the temples at Ankgor Wat in Cambodia and of course get some shopping in. All very exciting. Then we will fly onto Hong Kong and hopefully catch up with a couple of Zain’s mates there and then go on a month long tour of the major sites in China, ending up in Beijing where we will stay on for a couple of days before flying home. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, make them known!

We have also booked our flights for our Aussie holiday up the East coast (Cairns, Great Barrier Reef, The Whitsunday islands via boat trip, Fraser Island and then down to Brisbane). We leave in about a month and it is very exciting. I have yet to tell work I won't be there....mmmmm.....should probably do that soon!

1 Comments:

At 10:45 pm, Blogger sekerci said...

So glad the blog is back. I was stating to get bored of seeing Arran and his car every time I checked in for the latest stories/ news!!
xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home