1 a girl with wanderlust: Week 17

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Week 17

I haven't written for ages, not because I switched off the TV and did something more interesting instead, but because I have been a lazy bugger. Oh well, means you get a bumper lot of text this time to keep you happy! Keep reading ;)

Week 17

Monday – back to work after the weekend. Nothing much doing. It is a busy time at work because the financial year over here finishes at the end of June, so there is a lot to be done, not by me, but by everyone else and the frenzy rubs off on you!

Tuesday – great excitement at work because we have tomorrow off for Anzac day. A day spent drinking in the pub and ‘remembering’ all the Australian (and New Zealand) war heros and all the awful things they had to do in the war for which they get absolutely no credit. I was as high as a kite – thank goodness for a mid-week day off! Although that means no cash, who cares when you can sleep in and swan about mid -week doing nothing, Zain was off too, so that was an absolute bonus. Went to see The Reaping which was rubbish, but I hid behind my hand anyway and jumped out of my skin a couple of times, so it must have done the job!

Wednesday – ANZAC DAY (and Siara’s birthday). Well today I think that I can honestly say we did barely nothing. Got up latish after lazing about in bed, went down for a swim and a sauna which was divine. The gym ‘building’ was totally mobbed, well there was about 5 other people there, and normally there isn’t anyone! After my swim, Zain and I had a bite to eat, and because it was a public holiday we felt the need to be naughty so we had an Oporto chicken wrappa meal each – they are SO good! And next on our list of things to do and plans was to go to the cinema, I love a shitty weather day when you can eat crap food and go to the cinema or just watch movies, so that is what we did. Went to see ‘The Perfect Stranger’ which was okay…..at first I thought ‘this looks a bit ropey’, but after a while I got into it and was even feeling a bit tense about what the outcome would be, so there must be something to it afterall. Was worth a look, but only if you love cinema, otherwise you can wait for the DVD. Did a bit of shopping too. Because Zain is an absolute sweetie, he bought me some running shorts as I have been whinging about only having one pair – what a cutie! I suppose he might be telling me to get my butt into gear, but I prefer to think he just wanted to shut me up. Then back home to more chilling and TV watching and general chilling out. A good restful day.


Thursday – running. I was going to say that was all, but how could I possibly have forgotten that it was the Biggest Loser final weigh in – what was I thinking! The person I wanted to win didn’t win and the person that NO ONE wanted to win did. Just goes to show. In fact the guy who won was basically anorexic by the end, that CANNOT be good for anyone!

Friday – signed up for a pattern making evening course and of course it has been a short week as we had the break on Wednesday. Went to the DVD shop (and wine shop) after work and got out ‘A Good Year’, which has Russell Crow in ‘funny, rom-com’ mode. Was very good actually and not what I had expected. Zain liked it too, even although he moaned enough when we chose it! He did admit that it had been a good choice in the end though.

Saturday – I was on my own today as Zain stayed up all night in preparation for the start of his night shifts. I pottered about, had to go to Crow’s nest to get a few bits and pieces for the start of my evening class and was chuffed to bits when I managed to get it all from the pound shop for just about £4!!

Then I headed into town to explore the Rocks, which is essentially the oldest community of European settlement in Australia. The area has a very distinct feel, and you can almost imagine how it must have been when the settlers first arrived and what a midden it must have been! The streets are now pretty much deserted, but there is a lot of character to the area, with old houses and tenements, and terraces (basically people just brought over what they knew and tried to implement that over here). I wandered around for a bit and took in the sights, there are some stunning little local cafes with great views out over the harbour and they feel very undiscovered and also you get the colossus which is the Harbour Bridge coming in over your head too! I didn’t wander on my own for too long though, as I could sense some interest in my being on my own by a couple of young guys and I didn’t want to take my chances, but that is one good thing about the Rocks, set round a quiet corner and you are confronted with mass tourism! Never thought I would be so glad to see camera-wielding Germans!

Then I went to Sussanah Place Museum which is located in the Rocks. This museum is yet again part of my favourite museum group (if you can have such a thing?) and so I was eager to see how they had done it. The museum is a collection of 4 terraced houses that were build in the 1850’s and are essentially some of the oldest standing buildings in Australia/the Rocks. They have made the museum into a ‘working’ building for how it must have been to live there over the course of the last 120/130 years if you are from a working class background and you had basically come out to settle. It was really interesting to hear all the stories, look at the furnishings of the day, see how the house was run and just get a gist for what it must have been like, which must have been awful!! They may look ‘romantic’ and idealised, but the living conditions and sizes were just appalling and I didn’t fancy the outdoor toilets much! Sensible in a way, but with the snakes and spiders here, I think not!

Then I stopped off in the Rocks for some lunch and a bit of free jazz, which was just ok and then decided to go to Customs House which is now one of the main libraries in the Sydney area. It was originally the customs house (but you knew that already) and although there wasn’t much to ‘see’, the building had a great atmosphere, lots of free magazines and all the newspapers and some very cool cafes – I can just imagine sitting there and chilling out reading a good book. They also have a scale model of the CBD under the floor which is pretty interesting to stand over and have a look!

Then off to do MORE sightseeing, might as well pack it all in, huh? So I headed off past the Opera House into the Botanical Gardens/Domain park towards Mrs Macquaries Chair which gives you stunning views of the Harbour, the Bridge and the Opera House. The view from the ‘chair’ itself isn’t what it is cracked up to be in my opinion as from that side of the land you look out onto the naval base, not the best! Then I decided to head up towards the Art Gallery of NSW to have a look at the Archiebald prize which I think is a bit like the Turner, but it might be restricted to just portraiture? Well…I didn’t go in, because it cost to go and I am officially hard up, so instead I was pissed off (although I know I should have know better) and so I had a bit of a wander round the rest of the permanent exhibition and was absolutely astounded at the number of people who appeared to be visiting the Gallery out of their own free will (I always feel somewhat like I have to go to these things because I studied art and all that…). It was actually rather heart warming.

Then home to waste some time before I went to the cinema (I might be hard up, but you can’t expect me to stay in on a Saturday night!!). Went back to the Orpheum seeing as I so enjoyed it last time and this time I saw Priceless (Hors de Prix) which is a French movie with Audrey Tatou. It is fabulous. It is perfect. I enjoyed every second. It is really well acted, great story, funny, poignant, beautiful shots and people, and a real mood lifter. I love, love, loved it. Then home with another mammoth wait at the bus station, but hey ho. Bed.

Sunday – was definitely on for the long run this morning and so I was up and out of that door as soon as I was able. I did 10 miles and although I felt the last mile, I am damn proud that I made it for 2 reasons. 1) I ran 10 miles! 2) I did it all by myself and I didn’t have to have someone standing over me or running with me to motivate and encourage me to do it. I am knackered!

Spent the rest of the day mooching about pretty much. Went up to Crow’s Nest as there was a bit of an event on and so I had a wee bite to eat (there might have been chocolate…) and then watched some bands play which was all really lovely and enjoyable. The weather had been perfect – clear blue sky, light breeze, but still really warm and just a glorious Autumnal day; a bit like a Scottish summers day when the weather is perfect. Then I headed home and read my book and did the ironing and watched CSI, which used to be my favourite show, but now I am a bit over it and in fact it scared me tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home