1 a girl with wanderlust: 2 weeks is too long...

Friday, May 25, 2007

2 weeks is too long...

Week 20 and 21

I have been very naughty and not kept up my blogging, I just seem to have wandered off the path. I have been doing things and interesting things at that, but I seem to have lost my ‘typing-up’ motivation. However, here I am, back at it again…can it really be two weeks since my last confession? So, I’ll just be writing random things that pop into my head because that is what I fancy doing.

Tonight I was at my evening class and I love it so much! Last week we drew up the pattern for a dress (I don’t think it will win any style awards, but let’s see it in 3D first!) and then this week we learnt how to ‘sculpt’ it from fabric, as there would be no point in learning how to cut all these cool patterns on 2D and then have no idea for how to put it together. So I dutifully bought my calico – in all honesty, I think everything I make and wear from here on in, might just have to be in calico; cheap and cheerful and makes you look like a mental hospital escapee! – anyway, I digress…yes so we cut our patterns…another thing that is so nice about the class is that not everyone is the same shape and size (obviously) and therefore it’s not an issue about how big or trim you are because you are cutting your own pattern and it a way it is like having fingerprints or something; no two are the same…OK, I continue. So, we cut our patterns and then Keiko showed us how to put them together; in principle it is all straight forward, in practice it is a very different matter. Because in some places you have a difference in length in two seams that are meant to join together. As Keiko always says in her crazy and lovable Japanese way ‘the body is curved here, here and here’ as she madly gesticulates and points to parts of your body. So we had to learn, through stitching and sewing, how to shave off 5mm here and a centimetre there…Anyway, by the end of a two hour class all I had managed to put together was the back of my dress and one sleeve, which I tried on and it fits like a glove. IT IS SO GOOD. I have to repeat that. IT IS SO GOOD. It was so fun to try on my top half and for it to fit like a dream. No more tight spots, no more gaping bits, no more excess fabric…bring it on! Clearly if I want to wear anything, I will basically have to spend the rest of my life cutting and sewing fabric because it takes such a long time unless you are like Keiko and can practically do it in your sleep because she has 30 years of experience; but hey! I can try? So enough now of my pattern cutting crazy talk, next week we learn fitting – how much fun does that sound?

Work – to be honest work plods along as usual but the last couple of days have been very exciting! So Thursday was exciting why? Oh because we got some cool Channel 9 merchandise just for being us and they were giving free tickets away to a premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and I managed to get 2 tickets for Zain and I, which is a pretty cool perk of the job. Now it’s not the premiere where we get to ogle at Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, but I had you going for a second or two, didn’t I? So that is all quite fun. And then yesterday the boss was off, so while the boss is away, the rest of us play! What a lazy day, and it was so much fun – really! Went out for lunch for some Yum Cha again which was better than my first experience; it was just so damn yummy (I ate something that looked like a giant Shrek snot, but tasted oh so good - I must take Zain), and after lunch we went and had a quick look round some shops – all on company time you understand, and then back to the office for the remaining couple of hours. Which I spend watching a preview of a new show for Channel 9 which was actually pretty good in an Aussie way and now I can say that I know things about advanced screening of stuff – is that cool? Probably not if you work in Australian TV!!!!!!! Then, they have finally brought back Friday night drinks which take place downstairs in the ‘social’ area. What a laugh! Friday night drinks last for about 3 hours ….and all the booze is….FREE! Free, yes, Free. They have a charity that you can donate to which you are meant to put Gold coins into every time you have a drink (I did, because I am very good), but let’s be honest, a dollar (which is gold coin) is only about 40pence, so for the grand total of $4, I drank a bottle of champagne! Which was rather fun. Caught up with some good people, spilled a drink (but didn’t break the glass – thank God!) much to my embarrassment, but I may just have to pretend it never happened and then got a lift home feeling very merry with myself, and thought ‘I like this work!’. Also, next Friday Cheryl is taking out all the Business Managers (the people who actually work hard in the department) for a slap up afternoon and evening of food and booze, all on the company credit card, and I have been invited! I don’t think I will go for the afternoon as it doesn’t seem fair (although she did say I could go, because she likes me), but sure as shit will be there will bells on after work – free booze in like one of the hottest spots in town and it is all on work, I think so! So all in all, it has been a very fun week at work! People are also starting to ask me if I am going to stay on…and when I explain the 6 month working rule and that I will have to leave them, they all suggest I try to find a way round it and get sponsorship – they really don’t want me to go! Which I am vain enough to find flattering. I am thinking about staying on until the end of the year with CH9 if I can, but mostly just because I can’t be arsed to start somewhere else and because they have an amazing Christmas party and hamper give away and how much fun would that be! A whole day off of ‘work’ where there is a summer BBQ, drinks and you get to mega socialise – that sound fun doesn’t it? Thoughts people?

More – Zain and I went away for the weekend last weekend which was fun. We headed down to a wee place on the coast called Kiama which has a very (dubious, but) famous Blowhole. It was quite a long trek to get there (about 3 hours all in) in order to see some water shoot through a hole in the ground, but it was quite fun and there were lots of little kids screaming and shouting when it came up with some force. I quite liked it actually as it formed a mini rainbow in the sky which was kind of lovely. The Australian people have an amazing knack of making something very mediocre, out to be an enormously big deal and worth the tourist dollars, and of course Zain and I obliged, but really…? What was also fun, was that after seeing the fantastic sight, we decided to get some lunch, which is really much more exciting, so we headed off in search. What we found was fish and chips – perfect for a sunny day by the sea! We ate our chippie out in the sun sitting on a bench watching the world go by and it couldn’t have been any better. Then we decided to enjoy more sun and go for a bit of a walk across the rocks and have a look out at the sea. When we got to the rocks it just seemed too nice to leave so we sat for about an hour just taking it in and having a bit of a read of our books. Then it was time to get some ice cream and head for the station to take us to Wollongong where we were staying over night. Well, Zain and I seem to have this amazing knack of arriving in cities/places we are staying after dark. This is not good. First of all, we never know where we are going (no map, etc…very naughty indeed) and secondly, it is always about 6ish on a Saturday night, which never brings out the best in a city; and therefore Zain and I always decide that we do not like where we are staying. The same thing is true of Wollongong. I mean, we didn’t really give it much of a chance but I’m still pretty sure there is bugger all to do there and not much charm to it either. Zain and I are basically of the opinion that if you stray outside of the major cities (the state capitals) then there is not that much to like about outback Australia. I mean I haven’t been there, so I am jumping the gun A LOT and I’m sure loads of people would shoot me down in flames, but from our (limited) experience, it doesn’t seem that there is much to like. I still want to see it though and I will be making the most of my time here and I want to get out there as there must be some charm somewhere (?) but it all seems very ‘rough’ and ‘white’ out there.

There is more I think I want to write, but right now I can’t remember, so I plan (I think) to write more bits and pieces as I go along and not leave it as long as I have done this time around – 2 weeks is just too long! I might have lost my loyal readership!

3 Comments:

At 1:13 pm, Blogger Susan Elena said...

You're turning into my mum with all your sewing malarky. Pretty soon you and Zain are going to have matching holiday clothes with accessories in the same fabric just like me and my brother when we were 5 - go on, try to resist it!

Also, why are you even considering looking for another job? Ok, the one you're in isn't the most challenging mentally but the perks are good and you seem to be making some pals. Do you really want to start again somewhere else, where it might be even more tedious and not have a summer BBQ and Crimbo hamper?

x

 
At 7:51 am, Blogger Yogini said...

Mmmmm interesting idea, matching clothes... I think Zain would look rather fetching in the new puff sleeve dress I am currently imagining.
You're right about the work thing...but you know what I am like, I like a challenge!
Not long till you head off - are you all prepared? How exciting...

 
At 10:34 am, Blogger sekerci said...

Hello you,
I agree with Susan (not on the matching outfits!!) but on the work front. You should so definately try and stay there if you can. It means you won't have to find another job and you get the perks of staying where you are and who cares if it's boring, do you really want something more challenging that you have to think about and worry about after work hours??!! Naaah, just keep the job that means you can go home and not think about work!!
Hope you are both well.
Lots of love
Me
xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home