Sunday 22nd April
Sunday – 22nd April 2007
Lazy morning and was swithering about running and then I got hungry so that made up my mind for me – food it was. Then to make the most of the day I decided I should head into town and do museum and then run. So into town. Hit the Museum of Sydney as it is part of the Historic Houses Trust, and I have visited a couple of their other places and I thought they were really good, so I was looking forward to this visit.
It was good, but not that good. Worth doing and had some really interesting bits and pieces about the indigenous culture and also a big exhibition about the Harbour Bridge and the 75th anniversary. It was so interesting to see pictures of the bridge going up and hear the history of how it all came about; it was a real life changer for the people of Sydney and also Australia. There was also a good viewing window in the museum where you can look out over the forecourt and see the foundations of the original Governor’s House, where 9 Governors reigned over the course of about 75 years and information about the men was really well done too.
Then it was lunchtime and so I stopped of to get some food and by this time it meant that it looked like running wasn’t going to be on the cards and I need to wait for about 3 hours before I run after I eat and that meant it was going to be dark by that time, excuses, excuses…
Then headed home and did some mega emailing and internet stuff and generally enjoyed my afternoon of chilling. By this time I had decided on no running. Just as well because after about 10 minutes of making this decision, the sky opening and it has literally pounded the ground ever since. The rain here is incredible. Why do I find this so interesting? I have lived with rain for the last 28 years, why is it so interesting and amazing over here??? I suppose I am just a Brit at heart and love to talk about the weather.
Just watched Ugly Betty for the first time. I’ve missed all of them so far since it started (Biggest Loser clash! Whose idea of scheduling is that!), but I think I may turn into a fan…it will be about the only decent thing on TV out here! Lots of time for reading and internetting. Oh joy.
Went to see ‘The Namesake’ at the cinema last night because my Mum had recommended it and I wanted to see what it was all about. I went to the Creomorne Orpheum which is an old art deco cinema on Military Road and it is utterly fabulous. I think the story is that some old dude bought it as it was going to rack and ruin, fixed it all up and then opened it for the public and it really is spectacular. The decoration is so spot on and you can imagine that you are watching a film 60 years in the past. Anyway, the film was basically about an Indian family who emigrate to the USA, New York and about the cultural gap between the children who are born and raised in the US and the parents who still have very strong ties and cultural activities which make them ‘Bengali’. It was very interesting and sad and worth watching.
The cinema shows a lot of ‘art house’ films, so it may be my new favourite place to go. On the way home was a right treat as well! As I just missed a bus by a few minutes and then had to wait about 30 minutes to get the next one going to my neck of the woods. Oh well I thought, I like to people watch and I certainly saw a lot of people! There were a lot of drunken peeps staggering about and trying to talk to me and a lot of people heading home after the cinema or dinner, plus just random people heading home after work. I did get to watch one fight, so the night at the bus stop wasn’t wasted! (image courtesy of impawards.com and cinematreasures.org)

2 Comments:
Isla, Ugly Betty is soooo good. I absolutely LOVE it. You have to get into it. If you are bored and want to catch up on missed epiosodes go to channel4.com/4od. Download 4od and then you can watch all the episodes you have missed of any channel 4 show (Desperate Housewives is the other one!!). Only one slight flaw- Ugly Betty costs 99p an episode but it is soooo worth it!
http://www.skywalk.com.au/
Check that out- how cool does that look. Tell Zain about it- it looks totally like his thing! It was in the Times travel section yesterday and looks totally awesome but not for the faint hearted or for those scared of heights!! Wait for me before you go tho!
x
Post a Comment
<< Home