1 a girl with wanderlust: Mardi Gras

Monday, March 05, 2007

Mardi Gras

Saturday – 03/03/07

Up early and headed to Mosman market to see what it was all about. Really lovely market and enjoyed spending an hour or so there. I even picked up a registration form, in the vain attempt that I may make some things to sell (who am I kidding!). Everyone I spoke to at the market was very encouraging which was really nice of them. The things I would make, probably little weavings, etc… (they look hard, but aren’t that difficult!) I think would sell, as there was nothing else like that there. Bought a couple of things – presents and the like, plus a very delicious cupcake for absolute bargain price, very yummy it was too.

Then headed into town to go to Paddy’s market, vecause that is where you can get all your cheapy crappy stuff, like boring things like socks which it is beginning to be the kind of weather that you need socks in. Then more shopping, boring, boring, boring. Unfortunately, it has got to that stage where I officially have NOTHING to wear to work any more – they have seen it all in as many combinations as I can muster, so I’m afraid work clothes were purchased. Dull as dishwater.

Also headed slightly out of town to this place known as Breckenridge (?), where there is an outlet mall (I love those). However, this was a really disappointing venture. The mall is in a fantastic spot, right on the waters edge and it could have been soooooooo lovely, but instead it was like walking round a warehouse, a really boring warehouse. I didn’t like it at all, and to be honest the (rubbish) stuff they had wasn’t up to much – not as good as the heaven that is TK Maxx – I miss that shop! I did get chatting to an old timer though on my way to the shop. He was really talkative and was very informative about the mall. He liked to go down to get some exercise and to talk to people. It was kind of sad really.

Then headed home with purchases in hand to get ready for the big do – Mardi Gras! Chatted briefly with Zain about the day and the upcoming gayness and then headed into town. It was all just soooooooo easy. No pushing, no shoving, no crazy transport arrangements, just people heading into town for a spectacle and a good night out. Followed the crowds up to Hyde park where it was beginning to get dark (the show kicks off about 7.45pm) and was welcomed by hundreds, nay, hundreds of thousands of people; all a bit boozy, but no fights/trouble in sight. Headed into the park and got to see the start of the parade which is traditionally led by the Dykes on their bikes, which was as interesting as it sounds. Then decided that I would try to get a better view – foolish me. I mean, I was expecting a lot of people, but not that many obviously! I made it over to one corner where I thought I would get a better view, but instead I got intimately acquainted with peoples armpits and backsides (they were a lot of people standing on stools, damn them!). However, after about an hour of trying to take pictures over the top of people’s heads, and jumping to see the dancing boys with their oiled, worked-out-to-the-max bodies, I finally managed to squeeze through to a spot fairly near the front with a bit of a view.

Overall, the whole parade was interesting and I saw some (quite frankly) amazing/hideous/delicious things, but all in all it was a bit too long. I was there for just under 2 hours and they still hadn’t finished with the various floats – some of which were good, some bad, and some very strange: ‘stand up for the old gays’, ‘save the environment, don’t ride a bike, ride a dyke’, ‘ban homophobic religions’, ‘I’m gay, and God loves me for it’….. you get the picture. To be honest, there are only so many fat, hairy old men with their bottomless chapps on that you really need to see in a life time. I’m glad I went, saw and experienced, and the after parties must have been wild; but I think I can live without going next year.

Home to bed on a very hot night. Sooooooooo hot, hot, hot and humid; the perfect evening for drinking outside and having a wild time.

1 Comments:

At 3:46 pm, Blogger sarah said...

Sounds like great fun! I always knew you were a sucker for oiled up men in pvc outfits :-) Wish I was there to have shared that experience with you. We would have had a great laugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home