Who is that amazing girl on TV?
22/02/07 – Thursday
What a day! I think I should just tell you all right out – I am famous!
….So another normal start to a normal day, but not so fast! Got to work and one of my work colleagues said that there was a new programme airing today and that they needed some audience members. Well, I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I said I was up for it.
Headed down to the studio (the show took place over my lunch hour) and caught up with some of the other girlies from the office. Headed into the studio which was pretty cool, as it was good to see how it all works and get a bit of a feel for what happens and how they do live TV; that’s right – this show was aired live and all the bigwigs from upstairs were watching to see how it was all going. Anyway, I take my seat in the second row and there was a crowd warmer, basically to give us instructions on how the show would work, when we had to clap and boo, etc…All was going well, the show started well. It’s called ‘The Catch Up’, and it’s basically a laydeez chat show where they talk about all the important things in life: politics, religion and shoes… you get the picture. So the first section was good, the second section was good, and then during the ad break they asked me to move up a seat so that a new audience member could slot in. Fine, no problem.
Only…she starts talking to me thoughout the show. Weird, I thought, cos we were all told to smile and look happy and NOT talk to each other. She kept saying strange things like: he’s tall, he likes lollypops, you are doing very well….All the time I am trying to humour her and so I smile and agree in my best TV face. Then during the next break, they call said weirdo over to the ‘couch’ – she is the star of the show!!! She is the psychic!! Bloody hell. You can see where this is going…
Basically, all the presenters (4) were very sceptical about this woman’s talents, but she was giving it the chat and then of course they asked the dreaded question – did you pick up anything from the audience? Queue me as she points a long arm and finger at me from across the studio – in zoom the cameras. Oh dear. So then proceeds a VERY embarrassing 5 minutes, where she talks about my mother’s father, and I smile while going bright red and catching a glimpse of a very, very, very un-tv-agenic face (red, blotchy, hair scrapped back – nightmare! I did have make up on though!). She hit a few nails on the head, but I’m not so sure about some of it. Mum/Jules – did Grampa Townsend have arthritis and a bad hip????I was the talk of the TV station, everyone kept coming up to me and saying ‘ahhh we saw you on the show’. Not quite how I wanted my TV debut to go – still remembering that sweaty, scared, red, embarrassed face – not exactly the dazzling and witty start I was hoping for!
After work headed into town to get a ticket for a show at the Opera House; going to see The Gotan Project which I am really looking forward too. Going solo to this too as Zain is working. Girl Power!
Then headed off to see my new beautician. Well…it needed to be done, I was (quite frankly) desperate! But what an experience. I went to this place called Leah’s waxworks which occupies a unit in a shopping mall and the treatment rooms were actually cupboards – really, cupboards. They were bed, sliding door and wax pot, ONLY. And everyone could see you with your clothes off when they opened the door – which they did – A LOT! Anyway, a good job was done, but not without the therapist spending A LOT, A LOT, A LOT of time looking at herself in the mirror. Every time she looked away from me to the wax pot, she would look via the mirror. Hilarious and very odd. Particularly as she wasn’t worth that much attention, even from herself and she kept going on about how someone needs to tell Britany that she should get a grip and to stop wearing such bad clothes. Pot.Kettle.Black. Just odd, but very mucholy lovely cheapness. All good, and now I can go to the beach. Mission accomplished!

1 Comments:
That's almost as good as my friend, Scott, who got interviewed by Mexican TV thinking he was a Scottish football player despite him being 37 and barely 5ft4! He went on to discuss the state of Scottish football, getting a few digs in at the players and management, before signing a few hundred autographs.
The reason for all this... he was wearing a retro Scotland top!
But you're talent for attracting weirdos is definitely improving x
Post a Comment
<< Home