1 a girl with wanderlust: Bondi market again...

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Bondi market again...

10/02/07 – Saturday

Had a nice lie in and then got up for my customary run. Was planning to do 5 miles to up the pace a bit, but seeing as I was purple after about 2 minutes, I just stuck to my 4 mile route. I really need to crack on with upping the mileage if I am to get anywhere with my ½ marathon training and any other runs I fancy doing. There is a run in August called City to Surf which ends up in Bondi which sounds pretty fun, so any encouragement you can offer would be most welcome!

Had planned to hang out with a work colleague called Rachel, but she called off at the last minute due to a family commitment, or so she says…not like I’m paranoid or anything! So I decided I would make the pilgrimage once more to Bondi market, so I hit public transport and made my way to Bondi. Got to Bondi in one piece, found the correct cross junction …but to my surprise there was no market…mmmm? How can this be I thought? Well, not to be outdone in my quest for the market, I decided to ask a friendly local, only to be told the market doesn’t run on Saturdays…only Sundays! Dagnamit! That’s twice now that I have been foiled in my attempt to get to that market! Perhaps third time lucky? Not sure if I can be bothered to make my way out there AGAIN seeing as I don’t even have enough money to buy anything!

So after my trek out there, I hit the mall to stock up on shampoo/conditioner as I haven’t had enough money to buy any and I’ve been using Zains quality 2-in-1, so my hair is a fright! That’s what you get when you are skint. All should be well now though.

Then headed home with a plan to go to the beach, but as soon as I got in the door the clouds came over so even if I headed to the beach, there would probably be no point, hence I am home and blogging.

I have treated myself to a couple of ‘art’ things. I bought a pencil today in the vain attempt to get myself back into drawing and being creative. It has been such a long time though, and I’m not sure my attempts will be successful. When you have been out of practice at something for such a long time, I’m not sure there can be anyway to salvage it. However, I will give it a bash. After all it is the only thing I am trained to do, and I might be able to make some money out of it over here…fingers crossed. I know that it should be a pleasure, but I’ve always thought you don’t have to force yourself if it is a pleasure; a bit like shopping is for me!

Zain is on nights again tonight, so I was planning to go to the cinema, but I’ve just remembered that there is a free outdoor showing (cos you can get away with things like that here!) of An Inconvenient Truth. I think it must be environment awareness day in Oz or something? Should be interesting and I haven’t seen the film and it’s meant to be very good.

Have also finished another book today called ‘The dream life of Sukhanov’ by Olga Grushin. It’s really good. Set in Russia during the communist era and about a man called Sukhanov who discovers the power of art, becomes a talented artist, but gives up due to various pressures and the fear of failure. It has stuck a bit of a nerve with me, perhaps resulting in the purchase of pencils…who can tell. Some interesting passages from the book:

“Art is not about some common purpose or noble mission. It’s an expression of an artist’s soul, his individual, titanic struggle to rise above the ordinary, to speak a work unheard before, to extract an unexpected, mysterious, radiant nugget of beauty from the many obscure layers of our existence, to glimpse a bit of the infinite in everyday life – and truly great art comes to us like an ecstatic revelation, it sets our whole being on fire!’

‘I agree that art should be about striving, but I believe it is precisely by striving within its boundaries that art can achieve its highest peaks. An artist of true genius is not one who wholly dismisses old traditions and plunges us headfirst into an unknown, disorientating, possibly meaningless paradigm, but rather one who, working from within a predetermined framework, subtly manages to push away our blinkers an inch or two, to reflect our faces in a mildly distorted mirror, to find a second bottom in the most familiar things or a second meaning in the most exhausted words – in short, to wipe the accumulations of dust from our world – and who by doing so allows us to rise to a higher plane of existence.’

‘…beauty always survives, and there will never be a higher mission than making the world richer and purer by adding more beauty to it, by making on single person cry like a child…’

1 Comments:

At 9:57 pm, Blogger Kristin Pedroja said...

There is ALWAYS a way to salvage your creativity, sista. I sat on Woo for nearly a year before picking it up again and hashing out the final 30,000 words. All it takes is the guts to take that pencil and make something, anything, without agenda or judgment, let yourself go and freely find the muse. Embrace that feeling of otherness that happens when you're in someone else's country living your own life. I can't wait to see what you do...xxxxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home