Sydney day trippers
05/01/07 - Friday
Doing the sleeping thing to try to recover from the madness of flying over night and into new time zones. Woke reasonably early (Zain even set the alarm early as he is being a good boy and is on a health kick, which included a visit to the hotel gym at 8am!) I was not so good. I sorted the room a bit and then read the complimentary papers to kind of get a feel for the place and watched a bit of TV. To try to sum up the local reportage? I would say informal at best. I haven’t quite got to grips with the content and style, but give me some time and I will feed back more.
Once we were up, there was the customary hunt for food. Breakfast to be precise. We opted for smoothies as this is the country of rangy blond girls (or should I say babes – that is what I am aiming for anyway!!) and surfing/rugbying/cricketing dudes – we need to fit in and get in shape!! So a leisurely walk through the main thoroughfare of the CBD (central business district for those not in the know), George Street, which takes you down to an area called Circular Quay, where you will find all manner of goodies – The Sydney Opera House (just sitting there – very odd!), the Harbour Bridge (or coathanger as it is known locally) and also an area known as The Rocks where apparently there is free wireless internet and people just come to hang out. When we were there, they had a big screen up and everyone was chilling watching the Ashes (listen! I have to catch up with all this sporty stuff, otherwise I am a dead duck out here!!!).
From wandering around there, and taking the customary obnoxious tourist photos of all those landmark wonders (see attached), we decided to jump onto one of those tour buses, which show you the area and give you a bit of info too. Trying to find the bus was another bloody matter! This place is not like Edinburgh where they ram this crap up your nose – there wasn’t even a sign for it and we had to ask twice!! Once we were on, it was all that it promised – got to see a bit of the city, learn some history and interesting facts, but also subjected to some cheapy in your face business ‘promotion’ – like come here today and save $$$ and have a great family day out! Oh well, someone has to sponsor these things.
Then Zain and I decided once we had the hang of the layout of the city centre bit, to head out to the North Shore to check out some neighbourhoods and see where we might like to live and hit some estate agents too. We got the train north, which crosses the Harbour bridge which was pretty cool, and got off in an area called St. Leonard’s. It seemed fairly nice and is on the commuter route for Zain’s work. But instead of settling there, we went in quest of an area called Crows Nest. We like it. It’s really pretty funky, with lots of restaurants, cafes, bookshops and other little local retailers which gives it a nice feel. So that is were we plan to look if all goes according to what we want to happen. However, all of the agents locally seemed to be closed for the holidays (I assume) so we will have to check out the internet and then head back there at the start of next week. Bit of a bummer, but I’m sure we will get something sorted soon, so that you can all have a postal address for all those care packages I am expecting!
Finished the day with some more looking around town, Zain checked out a bike shop, and I checked out shoe shops! And then onto dinner and a movie – how romantic. Went to see Blood Diamond, which was excellent, pretty shocking and kept me gripped from the first minute. Leonardo was pretty good too!
Top tip of today: Take the sun seriously – I do, but forgot to top up! Hence a slightly pink young lady this evening. Naughty, naughty…and feel very silly!
Take care, X

1 Comments:
3 things...
1. Leave the blondeness to me and Cara - subtle sunkissed highlights are the most you're allowed, you've regretted it before and no doubt will again. Plus, how else will Zain recognise you in amongst all the other babes?
2. After all those SPF 30+ lectures I can't believe you forgot to reapply??!!! Doh!
3. Crow's Nest? Crow's freakin' Nest? What's wrong with place names like Nitshill, Mil-in-gavy, Haghill... hmm?
Deary deary me xx
Post a Comment
<< Home