1 a girl with wanderlust: New Year's Day

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year's Day

01/01/07

Overview – breakfast + wifi, shopping, Singapore sling, thai food + the shore, early to bed

Today we were early to rise – amazing I know, although I didn’t have much to drink last night (no really!) but I was feeling pretty damn exhausted this morning when Zain roused me from sleep with a kick to the foot! We wanted to be up to make the most of the day and actually make a reasonable breakfast time which we would combine with a bit of Wifi (of if you are from France weefee) to catch up with you lovely people and to get some blogging done (I am behind schedule!). I had a great smoothie for brekkie, but unfortunately the WiFi was not to be as you had to long into and ‘Island’ site and register for things which seemed a bit sinister to Zain and I!

This was followed by a morning of unadulterated shopping (well there are plenty of places to go and if truth be told, not much else to do on these steamy days). Headed to the shops and had some truly bizarre experiences. First of all I went to this pretty cool shop (Topshop with better pricing and some awesome ‘vintage’ style shoes) only to be followed around the shop. I couldn’t understand the girl and she couldn’t understand me – I tried the I’m just looking tack but in the end, I just left. It was all a bit weird. Later, I realised what was going on, as this is what happened to me in every shop I went into. I think some might call it service and it involves the staff being very nice, following you around, asking if you would like to try things on, then if you do, taking them off the hanger and putting them in the changing room for you, then following you to the changing room, and so on…After a while I kinda got into it, but the personal space thing was a bit odd and you can’t just go in and have a look around, there is a certain amount of chat which has to happen it seems. Hello, hello, hello…

Still on with the shopping theme, although I may have been looking, I can’t say that I was buying or trying. Remember ladies, if you are over 5’6’’ and more than a size 10 then your chances are slim at finding anything, but if you fit that category then happy days cos this place is a paradise where you can get whatever you should wish. I did manage to find a few things though of course!!

Then headed back to the hotel to chill for a bit and decided to go out and sample the Singapore Slings made famous at Raffles Hotel. It was wonderful, really atmospheric and posh with prices to match. Was lovely to be there and soak it all up. Then dinner was calling. Hit the area called Boat Quay which encompasses a whole host of different resteraunts with a host of cuisines along the shores of the river. It was really pretty with the fairy lights and Christmas decorations (a bit out of place in this climate, but pretty all the same). Had some nice dinner – Zain ate an entire crab (there is a very nice picture of him and said crab on his blog) and I had my dinner in a pineapple!

Oh well, to bed. Another exhausting day and we have lots on tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home