1 a girl with wanderlust

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

21/01/07 – Sunday

A very hot day. Very. Today the temperature is meant to be in the early 40’s. I think it’s probably about 36/7 and it feels like an oven when you step outside. Zain and I have been looking and we haven’t seen a single soul on the streets. No one. And these people have it in their genes to be able to cope with heat, I’m positively sure of it.

Had a very lazy morning reading the paper and generally being lazy and not wanting to move around too much for fear of the dreaded sweat. Planned to go for a swim, but the pool is still closed (not all good in paradise after all!). So went for a coldish shower instead. We decided to go to the cinema as that involves air conditioning and being inside in a darkened room, which in this weather is a good plan; but you still have to get there. Hitched a ride with a not air-conditioned train and almost died – really. What sanctuary to get to the mall. Ahhhhhhhhhh. Did some emailing as the stupid PC system there wouldn’t recognise my MAC typed files (so you guys miss out on updates, mores the pity). Went to see ‘In the pursuit of happyness’, which is good, if a little scary as it promotes the American dream gone right, but what if it had been ‘Death of a Salesman’ which is essentially the films opposite. Worth a look for Will (of course) and his son who is a total cutie. Then you can decide what you make of it for yourself.

Home drinking beer and wondering what to do with our skint selves, as the pursuit of happyness has made me pretty scared about money – I don’t want to sleep in a homeless shelter or a men’s toilet!
N.B. It has cost us a lot more money than we thought to get ourselves together out here – flat hunting and bond and deposit, then furniture, then travel, then food and of course beer….it all adds up you know. Stop me if I have gone on about this already? It’s my fault for not being more aware and up to speed about moving to start a new life for a while; I forgot about this stuff. Oh well, let this serve as your reminder.

Both Zain and I are now tip tapping away with our laptops – such relationship bliss. Till next time, X

Observations:

Australian adverts: they don’t beat about the bush here. They say it like it is. For example, in the cinema today there was an advert about skin cancer. Not an advert about warning/scolding you like a parent (well a bit), but more like....well, I suppose the truth. ‘If you get skin cancer, which over 400,000 Australians do per year, then you could die. For example (says hospital doctor, direct from the operating table – real life operating table if you please) you could be like Tracey here. She is 22 and didn’t think she could get skin cancer…’ Then proceed to watch them cut a massive chunk of body part out of Tracey and throw it into a medical thing (aka bucket). ‘ Oh and by the way, this could happen to you, so remember the 5 key summer tips – hat, cover up, shade, sunglasses and 30+SPF’. Okay, I get the picture. No tan for me. Yikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home