20/01/07 – Saturday
Got up early today (as I do most mornings to be honest, you can't sleep with the sunshine pouring in) and went for a run. How smug do I sound; but really, you have to go first thing in the morning because it is just too hot to go at any other time. The last time I ran it was in the evening, and it almost killed me (combination of hills, heat and unfitness!) The heat just stays in the atmosphere here, goddamn it is hot here! In fact this weekend the temperatures have been up in the mid 30’s and for Sunday there was talk of it being 43C!! The hottest temperature I have ever experienced was 42C and it was unbearable. Not that I am complaining or anything.
After my run, Zain and I hit our private pool (I just like to say that!) unfortunately it was out of action for servicing or something, but I’ll be going tomorrow morning. Such a nice way to do your exercise and wake up in the morning.
Then I suggested free activities that Zain and I could do for the day as we are both pretty short of cash due to kitting out and renting the flat and Zain hasn’t started work yet (starts on Monday – scary!). So I suggested that we hit Paddington market which is in the Eastern suburbs and has a very cool reputation. I had done my research so I knew that it was a sort of Portobello Road type market – lots of hand crafted items, clothes, jewellery and the like, but Zain clearly didn’t know this. Let’s just say he was a bit disappointed! I wasn’t though. It was great. Had loads of cool stuff and things of course that I wanted to buy. Guess where all your presents will be coming from!
Then we headed off up Oxford Street towards the city centre so that we could have a look at some of the shops and get a feel for the area and get some food. All good as far as I was concerned I will definitely be spending some quality time with my visa card and the shops up that street! Then just to spice up our adventure, I suggested that we take a side street and have a look what treasures we could find. Yet again as far as I’m concerned we found an amazing spot of Sydney (not so sure about Zain, could have been the slightly sulky face that gave it away!). We headed down Glenmore street which seems to house a very large selection of Sydney’s art galleries which are all arranged inside old turn of the century Victorian inspired houses. They are so beautiful and very atmospheric. It just had such a different feel from the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street. Definitely a place for another wander. (See picture)
Then we found ourselves in Kings Cross. Do I need to say anymore? Kings Cross(es) as far as I’m concerned are more or less all the same; full of pimps, whores, sex shops (we even saw a discount store for ‘adult’ material), and junkies. Now it didn’t make a Saturday night out in Glasgow look tame or anything, but it still didn’t seem like the best area, so we beat a hasty retreat – are we getting old? I reckon I’ll be back to check it out again as it’s meant to have quite a vibrant and ‘interesting’ culture, so all in the name of research and all that….
Then a quiet evening watching more DVD’s and TV; this is the life?
Feeling a bit homesick today. I miss you guys! Sydney is a great city; really interesting, lots to do, see, learn and lots of new people to meet…but sometimes I wish for a deep fried marsbar and being in the presence of Neds –ah! now I remember why I’m not there. Feel better now. Thanks! X
Observations:
Springy pavements: They have this springy pavement stuff that they use round the base of trees – strange but good. A bit like the stuff you get in playgrounds. Would be good if the pavements were all like that – better for my knees when running!
Shade: Aussies are serious about shade. I am with them on this. It’s quite interesting to see which side of the street that people walk on; top tip – if you want to blend in, walk on the shady side. Only tourists walk on the sunny side. Also when you are waiting to cross the road, you know that people are waiting, but they are all standing under trees or the awning of buildings or just in the shade of lampposts. Quite strange, but a good cultural thing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home