11/01/07 – Thursday
Sorted finances again today, as we need to pay an extortionate amount upfront tomorrow for our Bond on the flat. Honestly this jig is costing us a fortune and is far more upfront cost that I thought it would be. Will be worth it though.
Then had a wander, which involved some window shopping (I can’t wait to get started, but just can’t face carrying it to the next place just now!), got some lunch in the sun, and sat being very smug and pleased with ourselves, commenting that you couldn’t do this in Glasgow: eat freshly made Thai food at a bargain price, beer in hand, in the sunshine while accessing free internet. Sorry guys, it’s all true!
Tried to get our TFN (tax file number) which I think is a bit like a National Insurance number? So that they can calculate your tax and get you all sorted out. Very serious stuff!
Lazy afternoon and evening eating room service. Our first time this trip. I won’t miss being in hotels if I am honest. I can’t wait to have my own space. Sure, it’s really nice to be lazy and leave wet towels on the floor and the bed unmade and to come back and find it all done, but I feel really cramped! And can’t wait to be picking up those wet towels (well, maybe not the towels!!)
Observations:
Dresses: They have an exquisite range of really cheap and fun summer dresses here. Finally an excuse and a good climate to wear a pretty summer dress.
Australian money: For those of you who don’t know, Aussie money is waterproof. All the notes are plastic coated which is pretty cool, and feels very different, but I haven’t quite got used to the feel of it yet, so keep confusing it for other bits of paper at the bottom of my bag! Also the coins are enormous! Really. Enormous. They are so heavy that I’m constantly tempted just to leave them places. And of course (because there is logic in this?) the lower the denomination the bigger the coin – go figure?
Cheapy shops: So the pound store – how much are things? A pound. Here in the dollar stores, how much do you think things cost? Not a dollar anyway. More, sometimes much more. False advertising perhaps??
Newspapers/Death: Have been reading a lot of local press recently. They tell you before you come here that hardly anyone gets attacked by sharks, cros, many other nasty beasties. EVERY DAY it happens. I s**t you not. Everyday I read something in the paper where someone is attacked by a shark or survives a death role by a 2.5 meter crocodile. HELLO – death awaits you in this country. I am sure of it. They are also very socially responsible though. Like today, there was first aid article (beside a death by animal article) about what to do in the circumstance where you are stung by any number of beasties. It was about 10 points long. How are you meant to remember that stuff when you’ve just been bitten by a snake…”Calmly bind the area, then…” I am not leaving the city! So far, so good. Haven’t seen anything more dangerous than a cockroach; apparently they love this place. Happy days.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home