09/01/07 – Tuesday
Paid the deposit today which is a bit scary as they have to go through your ‘application’ and then call you back to tell you if you have been lucky. They also deduct money from your deposit if you change your mind or if anything should come up/mean that you have a change of plans. These people are not about to let you off lightly it seems – this s**t is serious!!
Then we made the trek up to the NSW (New South Wales – get with the shorthand!) Medical Board HQ which is based in an old mental hospital, and is still called as such. Trip out there on the bus was pretty uneventful, but always an interesting way to get to see your new city. When we arrived it was a bit creepy and One-who-flew-over-the-Cuckoos-nest – ish. There was no-one about and all the buildings seemed to be in use, but not if you know what I mean. I kept expecting to see some slightly deranged people and Jack Nicholson with his pick-axe wandering around. After a long and very hot walk we found the HQ. I had been expecting not much to see, but the reception was full of other smartarses like Zain and I who had decided that some sun was a good idea. We were in for a wait. I was glad I had brought my book.
I got on wonderfully and made some really good headway with my reading. Zain got infuriated as he hadn’t brought any of the stuff they wanted to see. He is now going to have to get it sent out from Scotland via his parents raking through hurriedly packed boxes and some friendly people at DHL. Ah the wonders of the modern world! I just kept reading my book. (for those of you who are wondering, it’s Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld and it is excellent. About boarding school and reminds me more of myself than I care to admit. Thanks for the present Vixen!)
We had been planning to go to the Australian Museum, however, with NSW Health Board turning into a bit of a fiasco and both of us being really hungry, we decided to get lunch and then hop on one for the ferries which crisscross across between the suburbs to get some good views of the city and chill out a bit. It was an excellent idea. For relatively little, you can almost get a tour of the waterway and get more of a feeling for the heart of Sydney and understand Sydneysiders love for the water. The boat trip was easy, great views and relaxing and all took place in the lovely sunshine with a gentle breeze. Perfect.
Post boat trip, Zain and I decided to hit the cinema after getting chatting to one of the other people on the boat (a common occurance here – they want to talk to you and not in a naff ‘where are you from way’ more like, hey you are interesting way – very nice it is too). A nice old guy with some interesting personal grooming tastes, told us that he was planning to see Babble, it took me a while to realise he meant Babel (Brad Pitt looking old and Cate Blanchett they Aussie actress that they all love here); I still haven’t got over how funny it was each time he mentioned the title. Maybe you had to be there!?
Babel (Babble) was excellent, but I had to cover my eyes at some points and tell myself that it was just a film, because it was so emotional and I was really upset by some of the storylines – you know that sense of impending doom where you just know that something is going to go very wrong. Good though. Go and see it.
Finished off another busy day with a much needed trip to the laundry, thank God!! Finally some clean clothes. Managed to get locked out of the laundry though which wasn’t that pleasant as I imagined someone’s very pleased face once they realised that they were about to inherit a whole lot of clean new underwear!!
Anyway, enough of that! Cheerio, X
Observations:
Language – I actually overheard the use of the word ‘chook’ in real conversation, by young people no less. I was most impressed!
Cityscape – I can’t really put my finger on how Sydney feels as a city or what it looks like Sydney I suppose. But when we first arrived it really reminded me of San Fransisco, has the same thing going on I suppose – water, bridge, cosmopolitan community, big gay centre…At the same time though, it makes me think of English seaside towns like Hastings. In some places where they have Victorian terraced housing, it makes me think of the faded glamour of that kind of seaside resort town. The CBD reminds me of London or any city for that matter. Lots of tall buildings, big business, men in suits, lots of rushing, etc…Overall, it feels pretty vibrant and friendly. Although, there are some scary characters that hang around the station area (which is to be expected) I’ve heard a lot of people doing the shouting/talking to themselves thing – I seems to attract those people!
One for the ladies – Tampax anyone? Well they don’t exist here, not in applicator format anyway. Just a little oddity I thought was pretty interesting in a strangely cultural kind of way.
Sex work – It’s advertised everywhere; and no I am not ready dodgy magazines or anything. Seems to be quite a big thing and is advertised in all the papers in the Careers sections, even the broasheets.
Old parents – I’ve seen a lot of older parents here. In fact I would say the majority are, but that could just be a big city thing.
Style – there is a definite sense of style here, but doesn’t follow one theme as much as it seems to in the UK. Lots of casual/beach wear.

1 Comments:
Jack has an axe - not a pick axe! 51% to me!
Post a Comment
<< Home